How To Get Rid of Folliculitis Scars
Folliculitis is a common skin infection that can develop anywhere on your body. Severe infection can lead to permanent hair loss and leave disfiguring scars, dark spots, irregular pigmentation on your skin. It is not bad if your scars are small. But when they are not, you should look for an effective way to treat them.
Folliculitis Scar Type
To treat folliculitis scars effectively, you should know what type folliculitis scar is.
Folliculitis scar is a keloid. A keloid is an overgrowth of collagen cells after a skin injury.
Folliculitis Scar Treatment
The ugly truth is that the scars will never completely disappear. But there are many approaches can help you reduce the size and the appearance of the scars:
A.For small scars
- Skin chemical peels: It is a safe procedure, in which a form of chemical to remove scared or dead skin cells, allowing healthy skin cells to grow.
- Microdermabrasion: It uses crystals to remove scared skin cells. Because microdermabrasion uses crystals such as aluminum oxide crystals instead of chemical solutions, it is considered much safer than chemical peel.
- Lightening creams: The lightening products work by reducing a pigment called melanin in the skin. If your scars are dark. Lightening cream is a good choice for you.
- Silicone gel or cream: It heals scars by increasing hydration of the stratum corneum (the uppermost layer of the skin). It also reduces collagen production, thus resulting in a softer and flatter scar.
B.For Persistent large scars:
They may be treated with one of the following procedures: freezing, radiation, pressure, surgery, steroid injections or laser treatment.
- Steroid injection : It usually help flatten scars; however, steroid injections can also make the flattened scars redder by stimulating the formation of more superficial blood vessels.
- Laser treatment: It can be effective at flattening large folliculitis scars and making them look less red.
- Surgery: It is painful and 50% of treated scars will return.
- Radiation and Cryotherapy: Cryotherapy is the process of freezing scars with the use liquid nitrogen. The result will either lightens or darkens the site. Radiation can also be used.
Warning: To avoid making folliculitis inflammation worse, you should apply folliculitis scar removal only when your folliculitis is completely treated.