Can Minoxidil Cause Wrinkles
Minoxidil is one of the most popular medication to treat hair loss. For some people, Minoxidil can have side effects such as wrinkles, facial bloating and droopy eyes. This post will give answers to three following questions:
- Can Minoxidil Cause Wrinkles, dark eye circles, or facial bloating?
- If so, how can I reduce potential side effects?
- How long it takes for Minoxidil side effects to disappear ?
Can Minoxidil Cause Wrinkles, dark eye circles, puffy face ?
Essentially, Minoxidil can cause a degradation of skin’s collagen, which is what would probably cause the accelerated aging. It slows down collagen production in the skin.
Collagen keeps skin taught, bright, and plush. As you age, collagen production slows, and it results in wrinkles, dark eye circles, and so on.
Minoxidil is a natural vasodilator. Vasodilators dilate blood vessels making the dark circles more obvious. It also makes them dilate and flush their contents. As a side effect, they also retain water, leading to a puffy face.
You Can Reduce Side Effects and Keep Using Minoxidil
If Minoxidil is affecting your eyes and face, it means that too much Minoxidil is being absorbed into your body. You just simply lower your absorption rate. There are few things to consider:
- Not apply Minoxidil after a hot shower: After showering, your pores are opened . If you apply Minoxidil to a scalp full of open pores, more Minoxidil will be absorbed than necessary.
- Are you applying Minoxidil more than you need? Consider using Minoxidil once a day.
- Consider switching to a foam product : Liquid Minoxidil absorbs significantly more than foam products
- Drink a lot of water: Water will keep your skin flush of toxins
- Get on an anti-aging skincare routine: Use the eye circle cream in combination with the retinol. Retinol is the strongest form of retinoid to trigger collagen production.
How long it takes for Minoxidil side effects to disappear ?
If your wrinkles/dark eye circles are caused by vasodilatory effects. You will be fine after three days. (yes, 3 days, not 12 hours – 12 hours is only its half life). Thus, on the fourth day after not using Minoxidil , the circles should improve significantly.
However, if your wrinkles are caused by reduction in collagen production, for these circles to go back to normal you have to wait between 6 months and 1 year. In this case, Retinol is a good choice.
All you have to do is to stop being worried and sleep more, drink water and rub lotion on your face every night. Keep doing that, and you’ll see that you can successfully fight the aging side effects of Minoxidil to your skin.