The Nuvaring was first approved for use in Europe in the early 2000′s. The FDA in the US approved this a short time later and its now among the most popular contraceptive devices in the world. With over 1 Million Women throughout the US alone it consists of a small and flexible ring inserted near the cervix inside the vagina once a month.
After being placed you can keep it inserted for several weeks and it will prevent pregnancy by releasing a type of chemical called ethinyl estradiol which is a type of estrogen throughout the bloodstream. It’s a very popular form of birth control due to the nuvaring cost being relatively low and it’s ease of use. It’s competitor would be Yaz but there are also known yaz side effects.
Various studies have linked this type of contraceptive that contains desogestrel to a higher risk of blood clots, strokes, and other types of health issues in comparison to other forms of hormonal birth control. In 2007 a consumer group petitioned the FDA to ban oral contraceptives containing the exact same components because of the dosage being too high when ingested which cause various nuvaring side effects.
Some of the most common nuvaring side effects usually clear up after a few months. They include
- bleeding between periods
- breast tenderness
- nausea & vomiting
- nuvaring side effects discharge
Nuvaring may also cause vaginal discharges, vaginal sores as well as a change in sex drive. After you have stop using the ring it will take several months before your periods will begin again and could take up to 6 months. It may take up to a year before periods are restored to a completely normal pattern. If you get a yeast infection or other vaginal infection and are using the nuvaring you may experience weird symptoms during this period as there are several unknown factors that contribute to this.
Nuvaring Common Side Effects
More severe then those listed above but also quite rare are things such as high blood pressure, liver tumors, gallstones, or yellowing of the skin or eyes (jaundice). If you meet any of the criteria below then this risk can increase.
- are age 35 or older
- are very overweight
- have certain inherited blood-clotting disorders
- have diabetes
- have high blood pressure
- have high cholesterol
- need prolonged bed rest
Women who use birth control with estrogen — like NuvaRing —have a slightly greater chance of certain serious problems than nonusers. The most serious — in very rare cases — may be fatal. These include heart attack or having a blood clot in the legs, lungs, heart, or brain (NuvaRing vs Mirena, Do Antibiotics Affect Mirena , Do Antibiotics Affect IUD).
Report any of these signs to your health care provider as soon as possible:
- a new lump in your breast
- a sudden very bad headache
- achy soreness in the leg
- aura — seeing bright, flashing zigzag lines, usually before a very bad headache
- bad pain in your abdomen or chest
- nuvaring side effects bleeding
- headaches that are different, worse, or happen more often than usual
- no period after having a period every month
- trouble breathing
- yellowing of the skin or eyes
- nuvaring side effects bleeding
- failure to adequately warn women of the side effects that in some cases prove fatal.
- marketing nuvaring birthcontrol as a safe and effective means of contraception.
- failure to adequately test the design and manufacturing process for safety.
- incorrect advertising and promotion.